Sunday, February 5, 2012

Jam Thumbprints

I had some left over currant jam from making the Sweet & Tangy Cocktail Weenies a few weeks ago.  Currant jam on its own isn't a big hit in this house so I decided to use it to make some jam thumbprint cookies I'd been craving ever since someone brought them to our holiday cookie exchange party.  You can really use any kind of jam that you like in this recipe.  I forgot to take a pic before they were all eaten up, so I borrowed this one from Sunset Magazine, but the recipe is mine.  :)  I also dusted mine with powdered sugar.  I think it makes them look so much prettier!



1 c. butter
1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. fruit preserves or jam


Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer.  Add vanilla, then flour and salt, mixing till well combined.

Roll tablespoons of dough between your hands to form balls and place on a greased cookie sheet.  Use your thumb, a small spoon (I used the teaspoon in my measuring spoon set), or the round end ofa wooden spoon to create a depression in the center of each cookie.  Make sure not to poke all the way through the dough to the cookie sheet or your jam will all run out!

Fill each depression with jam.  Bake 15-20 min. until golden brown.  Immediately transfer to a cool flat  surface, NOT A COOLING RACK! When they are completely cooled, dust them lightly with powdered sugar. 

Yield 2 dozen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...