Monday, February 27, 2012

Blueberry Lemon Shortbread


I had a major urge to bake something yesterday purely just to have something to do, but I had no desire to get out of my jammies and head to the store, so I dug through my cook books and found a recipe for raspberry lemon bars that I adapted using what I had on hand.  It made a large pan so I wrapped up half of them and brought them by the high school where my husband teaches for his coworkers to snack on during the day.  It makes me feel so good to share some homemade goodness when people least expect it...and it keeps me from eating all of it!  Of course, Little Brother had to sample them first to make sure they were good :)


1 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. powdered sugar
2 c. flour
4 eggs
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/3 c. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. blueberries (I used frozen that I thawed ahead of time)
powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350.  For the shortbread crust, beat butter with an electric mixer for about 30 seconds.  Add the 3/4 c. powdered sugar and beat until combined.  Add the 2 cups flour and beat until well mixed.  Press mixture into the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan.  Bake for 20 min. until golden.

Meanwhile make the filling:  Combine eggs, granulated sugar, lemon juice, zest, 1/4 c. flour and baking powder in large mixing bowl.  Beat for 2 min. with electric mixer till combined.  When crust comes out of oven, sprinkle berries over the top then carefully pour the filling over that.  Arrange berries evenly with a spoon if they moved around on you.

Put back into the oven and bake another 30-35 mins. until light brown and filling has set.  Cut into bars.  Just before serving dust with powdered sugar. 

These don't keep long- keep them covered in the fridge for up to 2 days.  Or you can cut and freeze them up to 1 month.  Thaw in the refridgerator.  I don't think you'll have to worry about them going long.  I'd be surprised if they lasted 2 days anywhere!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...