Sunday, February 26, 2012

Amaranth Porridge- An Oatmeal Alternative


If you're like me you love shopping in the bulk bins at the grocery store. I love the rows upon rows of real, whole foods just waiting for you to scoop them up and take them home with you.  Last time I was at the market I saw that Amaranth was on sale.  It's a grain I've been hearing quite a bit about these days as it is high in protien and fiber, and also gluten free.  It is the smallest of the whole grains, each piece being about half the size of a grain of couscous. 

Amaranth

I wasn't sure what I was going to make with the amaranth, but I knew I'd find something on Pinterest.  I came across this recipe from Three Many Cooks for a hot breakfast cereal made of Amaranth and had to give it a try.  The consistency is similar to Cream of Wheat or grits.  She topped hers with pecans, raisins and agave.  I dressed mine with maple syrup, hemp seeds and walnuts.  Use what you've got! This recipe serves 4.

1 c. amaranth
2 1/2 c. water
1/2-1 c. milk or soy milk

Bring amaranth and water to a boil in a saucepan. Once boiling, reduce heat and partially cover. Stirring occasionally, simmer for 25-30 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Add soy milk, a little at a time, until desired consistency. Top with your favorite oatmeal toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...