Friday, February 17, 2012

Balsamic Apricot Chicken

It's getting to be about that time to hit the grocery store, so I had to get a bit creative with what I had in my pantry tonight.  I was craving something sweet and tangy.  Something saucy.  And then I rememberd I had this recipe from allrecipes.com that I'd been wanting to try, and I happened to have all the ingredients!  Woot!  I served it with a roasted garlic quinoa mix I got in the rice section of my grocery store, and steamed broccoli.  It was a hit!

2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 lbs. chicken breats cut into bite-sized pieces
S&P to taste
1 lg. onion, chopped
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
20 dried apricots
1 c. chicken stock
1 c. apricot preserves
1 tsp. thyme

Heat oil in a large skillet with a lid over medium-high.  Season the chicken with S&P and cook in oil until golden brown, but still pink in the center (about 5 mins).  Stir in the onion and cook about 3 more mins.  Pour in the vinegar, bring to a simmer and allow it to reduce for a few mins.

Cut half of the apricots in half, and leave the rest whole.  Put them all into the skillet and pour the chicken stock over everything.  Bring to a simmer, then add the preserves and thyme.  Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the apricots are softened, about 10-15 mins. 

This would be yummy served over rice, quinoa like we did, or maybe even mashed potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...