Chia seeds are amazing little gems. Here are 7 reasons you should add them to your daily diet!
- Help weight loss. Chia seeds are popular for weight loss. They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system. This blockage of calorie absorption makes them a great diet helper.
- Feel fuller faster: They can also help your diet by making you feel full. This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.
- Hydration for athletes: They are also great for athletes because the "chia gel" can hydrate the body.
- Reduce your blood pressure: There's evidence to suggest they can reduce blood pressure.
- Omega-3: They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that protect against inflammation—such as arthritis—and heart disease). In fact, they contain more Omega-3 than salmon!
- Benefits for diabetes: Because chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, studies indicate they can control blood sugar. This leads scientists to believe chia seeds may have great benefits for diabetics.
- They are easier to digest than flax seeds, and don't need to be ground up.
Try mixing them into baked goods, sprinkle on yogurt or cereal, or mix a teaspoon into a glass of juice. Let it sit for a half hour or so and then drink. The seeds absorb fluid rapidly and make little fruity bits in the juice! Delicious! Check out my amaranth porridge and easy peasy granola recipes for other ways to incorporate chia seeds into your diet.