Friday, December 28, 2012

Broccoli with Lemon Almond Butter

How was your holiday season?  We had a wonderful time!  First we visited my mom for Thanksgiving and my M-I-L came as well, which was great!  I love when we get to have both sides of the family together for a holiday.  Then we drove to Wyoming to my dad's place for Christmas. 

My stepmom had the house decked out so beautifully.  Isn't this just the most picture-perfect Christmas shot? 
Yes, we are spoiled rotten.  Now that there are 8 grandkids in the family that adds up to quite a few presents under the tree!
Both of my sisters and their families were there.  I love watching the kids play together now that they are all a bit older.  We had tons of fun and tons of FOOD.  In fact, I pretty much pigged out the whole time I was there....and since it was freezing the entire time we were there my workouts consisted of going up and down the stairs a few times a day. I mean, it's beautiful, but would you go for a run in 5 degree weather?


Needless to say, by the time we got home I was ready for some lighter fare and a long workout!  I hit it hard at the Y today with a HIIT run and some lifting.  It felt great to get a little break from the kids and get the blood flowing. 

This recipe is a yummy side dish and really fit the bill.  It would be nice with some grilled shrimp on the side for a nice, light, dinner.
 
 
source
1 head fresh broccoi, cut into florets
1/4 c. butter, melted
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/4 c. slivered almonds

Steam or boil broccoli until tender, approximately 4 to 8 minutes. Drain.
 
In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice. lemon zest, and almonds. Pour over hot broccoli, and serve.  Feel free to adjust the amount of sauce used to taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...