Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Whole Wheat Seed Bread

I have been trying to be better about making my own bread rather than buy store-bought. It's so much cheaper and I know exactly what's going into it, which I love.  But often times I'll make it and it just doesn't turn out right.  It tastes good, but doesn't make the greatest sandwiches.  And that's what everyone wants, right?  Good sandwich bread!  I've been experimenting with my breadmaker trying to come up with the best recipe for a whole wheat bread that my family will eat.  Many come out too dry or crumbly.  I really wanted to make mine 100% whole wheat, but it just never quite cut the mustard. So finally, I admitted defeat and used a portion of unbleached all-purpose flour.  I hate to say it, but it's so much better.  I add whatever seeds I have on hand.  I usually use hemp seeds because they disappear.  When you have a picky little girl that wants to know, "What are all these THINGS in my bread?!?" if she sees one tiny speck, you learn to get creative with hiding the healthy stuff.  Poppy seeds, sesame seeds, ground flax or even sunflower seeds would be yummy, too.

When it's done I let it cool and then slice up the whole loaf and store it in a ziploc.  I've found the rest of my family is more likely to eat it if it is pre-sliced and therefore easier to use.  Be sure to eat a slice warm with butter.   It's a slice of heaven!

This recipe makes a 1.5 lb. loaf.

1 c. + 2 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon honey, sugar or agave nectar
1 tablespoon non-fat dry milk powder
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons seeds
2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Add all ingredients to your bread maker in the order listed.  Use the basic or white bread setting.  I use the light crust setting because it's a little less crunchy and seems to slice easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...